Thursday, March 26, 2009

Poison Control...ahhh

Last night at about 8pm (perfect timing...american idol was on!) I went into our laundry room/bathroom and saw a bottle of pepcid sitting on the counter OPENED! This part of the house if normally gated off from kids...but obviously on my travels in and out...Tristan snuck through. Well...I immediately went to Tristan (Easton couldn't pull that off...yet!) and he was clearly guilty. He refused to tell me if he ate any...needless to say there were 14 of the 25 pills missing. Luckily..Ryan and my Mom had taken around 8-9 and there were 11 left in the bottle...making about 5-6 missing! My heart seriously sunk..I was SOO scared...hey you never know what could happen when a child takes adult medicine..so I called poison control...they were great. The woman there asked me to read her the active ingredients...then she said don't worry...he could eat around 5 of them and you wouldn't even know...anything over that...he will start to get sick and vomit...fhew...what a relief hearing that was...I kept an eye on him all night...still paranoid...but he woke up this morning fine!
***My reminder to ALL parents....NEVER leave medicine on a counter...and put a child LOCK on your medicine cabinet...it's NOT safe there either....kids are smart...Tristan gets a stool and gets into my high kitchen cabinets all the time...he even opened Easton's baby tylenol and helped himself!!!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

OMG, I would've been freaking out!!! Thankfully he didn't take something else, so much for childproof medicine tops when it comes to our kids.

Scott ~ Diane ~ kids said...

That can be very scary. When Sharlie was 4 years old our next door neighbor Susie gave her sumac berries to eat because she read it in a book or 4-H that they were okay to eat ~ NOT ~ we also called poision control and they had us give her the ipec syrup to make her vomit ~ and boy did it! Those situations make you realize how quickly little ones can get into things, especially in our bathrooms, under sink cabinets and laundry rooms. We can never be to safe.

Glad he is okay and looks like we need to find one of the shows the children like to watch about not eating things that our parents do not give us. The kids seem to listen to the shows better than they do us :-)

Love ya,
Aunt Diane

Holly Steffen said...

sounds like you stayed pretty calm!! good job momma! that is SOOOO scary!

♥The Drake Family♥ said...

yikes! i haven't had one of those situations yet....that is scary!

Beverly B. said...

Scary! I'm glad he's okay.